Friday, August 19, 2016

Meet Mrs. Brown



Hi!

I am an 11th year educator at Red Oak ISD. I love expanding my students' views beyond the geographic boundaries of their city, state and country. The world is big! But with the advancement of technology we are definitely a global society where the saying the old saying "It's a small world after all" is becoming more and more evident every day. I see it as my mission, duty, and purpose to prepare our youth to be competitive contributors to a world that is vastly different than what we were used to in the olden days!

Warning: I'm not like the teacher you had when you and I were kids. I don't follow a textbook and I don't give out worksheets for homework. In my class, we are project and research based and I expect my students to question, explore, find answers on their own, create, share, and publish their findings while I facilitate that process. My class is designed for the 21st century learner and hopefully I will be able to teach them more than just geography and world cultures, but that they will learn skills necessary to be able to "learn how to learn", to grow to be able to become leaders and producers, not just consumers.

You can learn more about me and how I teach in this interview I did last year:



Surprisingly to many of my students, I also have a personal life.


I have been a parent for two decades now raising two daughters (20 and 4) so I'd like to think I know a thing or two about kids.

Jaksyn and Jasmine


I love to travel with my husband!
Our trip to the Middle East was fantastic! I can't wait to go again!


I'm a pageant coach.

Me with one of my pageant clients who just won her state pageant!


I also play the piano at church where I am the youth choir director. I've been doing that for about 20 years.


I have a Master's degree in education.  And I love teaching!

Me, my parents and my sister at our graduation from Lamar University




5 comments:

  1. Mrs. Brown - thanks for sending out this link. Loved the opportunity to 'get to know you' through this page. You taught my oldest daughter a few years ago and this year you have her younger sister. My oldest who is now is 8th grade still talks about what a great teacher you are. I look forward to hearing from my 6th grader what all she is learning in your classroom. This is going to be a GREAT year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! I remember well! So glad to have another one of yours :)

      Delete
  2. Good day Mrs. Brown. Thank you for sharing. My name is Natasha I am Brynja's mother. We all call her BJ. I look forwarded to working with you to make this a wonderful school year for BJ. Have a blessed and wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! BJ is so sweet. I know she'll have a great year and I'm glad to have her in my class!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mrs. Brown. Thank you for sharing information about yourself and teaching style. My daughter is Ashley Chandler is enjoying your class. I look forward to meeting you as well hearing about the fun things Ashley will learn in your class. It's going to be a great year!!

    ReplyDelete